Carbon Monoxide
The Quiet Killer


Protect Yourself


Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
 

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that is released as a result of incomplete combustion whenever carbon-based fuels such as wood, paper, natural gas, propane, gasoline, diesel fuel, oil or kerosene are burned. Without proper ventilation, CO can kill a person in a matter of minutes. When exposed to carbon monoxide it is important to know the symptoms of CO poisoning.


Symptoms of CO Exposure


• Flu-like symptoms, fatigue
• Headache, dizziness and confusion
• Nausea, vomiting, shortness of breath

 

Some Sources of CO Exposure
 

• Portable generators/generators in buildings
• Boilers/furnaces, wood and gas fueled fireplaces
• Gas fueled appliances and kerosene space heaters
• Gasoline powered pumps and tools
• Cars left idling in the garage


Preventing CO Exposure
 

• Never use a generator in enclosed or partially enclosed spaces such as garages, crawl spaces and basements
• Do not use generators outdoors if placed near doors, windows or vents
• Make sure chimneys are cleaned regularly and that the damper is open both before starting a fire and after it is out to allow remaining fumes to vent
• Furnaces, water heaters and gas appliances should be properly maintained and inspected by a qualified professional at the beginning of the heating season
• Consider using tools powered by electricity or compressed air, if available
• Back the car out of the garage to let it warm up
• Protect yourself and your family by installing CO detectors. If the alarm sounds, or you experience symptoms of CO poisoning get out of the building and call 911.


For more information call Town of East Fishkill Building Department

(845) 221-2427